(PWR) Grassroots Organizing Weekend at Pitt

From: mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 13:19:18 EST

hey PWR,

Students in Solidarity at Pitt has invited us to participate
in this great activist training session called GROW. These
are really great, and free, so we need to take advantage of it.
Perhaps this week we can nominate some folks to go and
represent PWR. RSVP'ing is important for this one.

matt

-----

Dear CMU folks,
Students in Solidarity at Pitt is hosting a "Grassroots Organizing Weekend"
(GROW) Feb. 7 - 9. This is a great way to build your skills as an activist
(see below). It is a weekend-long commitment - friday evening, saturday
morning and afternoon, and sunday morning, but free food will be provided.
The techniques taught at the GROW are appropriate for all kinds of issues
pertinent to organizing on campus and in communities!

You can regsiter at
www.pittlgbt.com/grow.asp
limited room, sign up ASAP!
after you register, you'll get detailed info emailed to you.
please email lalst58@pitt.edu with questions.

Organize! Build! Win!

GROW has been developed by the USSA Foundation and community organizers to
give students the tools to solve the problems we face and to build our
organizations around the principles of Direct Action Organizing to ensure
long-term change. Through an interactive, hands-on environment, GROW is
designed to help you:

- Overcome lack of participation on campus
- Develop strategies to win specific issue campaigns
- Gain hands-on organizing experience
- Build more effective coalitions
- Increase the membership, reputation, funding, and influence of your
organization

How GROW works

USSA's GROW training program is broken up into a series of
presentations,
hand's on exercises, and discussions (see GROW Agenda) which enable
students to learn a variety of tools which will strengthen all aspects
of
student organizing. Seasoned student organizers share experiences,
easy-to-understand guidelines, and critique to enhance the utility of
the
training on your campus. Students who attend GROW are strongly
encouraged
to attend the FULL weekend as the sessions in GROW build on each other
and
will enhance understanding of all of the concepts.