![]() News & announcements Saving your history Early accounts Maps Nearby towns People Churches Schools Municipal Organizations Businesses The mines Transportation Streets Buildings Entertainment Celebrations Sports Ethnic groups |
Home -:-
Site map -:- Links -:- Print
resources -:- Contact |
History
of Freeland, Pa. Transportation by horse |
|
What's on this page:
The photo at top left of Harry Fisher of the John Fisher Livery came from Bill Smith. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Here, three great views of horse travel in winter: deliveries on Centre street by horse-drawn sleighs, from John Zubach; and two views of the aftermath of the blizzard of March 1, 1914, both taken from Centre Street a bit up from Front, one view looking north, the other looking south, both courtesy of the Freeland Historical Society. Freeland is a small town sitting on a mountaintop, and it is connected to surrounding areas by large and small roads and highways. But in its earlier days, Freeland was also connected to the outer world by both trolley and train tracks. All of the mining towns in the area had train tracks running to or through them so that coal could be transported out, and those same rail tracks brought immigrants and visitors to the area, and facilitated travel and shipping. ![]() ![]() But even more basic than the trolley and train lines were the roads leading into and out of town. In 1845 William Birkbeck made a road through the woods from South Heberton to Eckley and Buck Mountain. What is now Schwabe Street was a wagon and stagecoach road, referred to on some maps as the Butler-White Haven road. Several hotels along what is now lower Birkbeck Street, such as Krouse's Hotel and Livery at Birkbeck and Schwabe streets, served the stagecoach travellers. As early as 1878, stagecoaches were also running from Hazleton to Freeland. In 1890 a new road to Highland was opened. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() In addition to the vehicles and accoutrements needed for horse travel, there was a considerable amount of maintenance involved, both of the vehicles and of the horses themselves. Freeland blacksmiths and wheelwrights in the late 19th century included Jacob Fox and Bro., Peter Henninger, Elias Shelhammer, A. W. Washburn, W. J. Boyd, S. G. Debman, Charles Eastwood, G. B. Hoch, William Jenkins, and R. E. Roth. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Credits: Thank you to Bill Smith for the photograph of his grandfather, Mr. Harry Fisher, shown next to the Cottage Hotel and the Fisher Livery stable. Thank you to Carol Jones for the photo of the Hontz Brothers' Carriage Works. Thank you to John Zubach for the Freeland Teamsters Association poster. And thank you to Ed Merrick for the LVRR radio reception on the trains ad. ![]() 1873 Atlas of Luzerne County for Freehold P. B. Cunningham, Carriage Manufacturer & Dealer in General Merchandise - Eckley (P.O.) ![]() ![]() ![]() In business listings: Brown, Peter, wagonmaker, Centre near Walnut Fisher, Henry & Bro., livery and boarding stables, Front corner Birkbeck Smith, Conrad, livery, Washington near Main Wise, George, harness manufacturer, Walnut near Centre At right, two 1882 ads for George Wise and far right is an 1884 ad; center ad from Joan Buday, others from Ed Merrick. ![]() ![]() In business listings: Brown, Peter, wagonmaker, Centre near Walnut Donop, Ann, Mrs., livery, 63 N. Centre Fisher, Henry & Bro., livery and boarding stables, Front corner Birkbeck Fullmer, Gottlieb, livery, Washington near Main Halpin, M. & Co., carriage manufacturers, Johnson corner Pine Rugens, John, saloon, also livery, South near Centre Wise, George, harness manufacturer, 24 S. Centre John Rugans 1885 ad for new livery; John Commisky 1884 ad for new livery, with John Rugans as agent. Both ads from Ed Merrick. ![]() ![]() In business listings: Ceisloft, Milton, wheelwright, South near Washington Fisher, Henry & Bro., livery and boarding stables, Front corner Birkbeck Fox, Jacob & Bro., blacksmiths, 40 S. Centre Halpin, M. & Co., carriage manufacturers, Pine near Walnut Henninger, Peter, blacksmith, South near Washington ![]() ![]() Shellhammer, Elias, blacksmith, 46 E. Front Washburn, A. W., blacksmith, 57 E. Walnut rear Wise, George, harness manufacturer, 24 S. Centre Fisher Brothers' Livery article dated 1887; ads for George Wise's harness and saddle business in Hazleton in 1886, and his closing that business in 1887 to move to Jeddo and Freeland. All from Ed Merrick. ![]() ![]() In business listings: Fisher Bros. - Livery Fox, Jacob & Bro. - Blacksmiths Halpin, Michael - Carriagemkr. Hoffmeire & O'Donnell - Livery, etc. Washburn, A. W. - Carriagemaker Wise, Geo. - Harness & Livery (see also Jeddo) ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Michael Halpin and Fisher Brothers ads dated 1890. Hoffmeir & O'Donnell Livery Stable ad from 1889-1890. O'Donnell Livery building then (from John Zubach) and now. Sanborn Fire Insurance map details from 1890 and 1912 showing the original building and the new one in front of it. ![]() ![]() ![]() In business listings: Beagle Hame Works, hame manufacturers, 54 Front Fisher Bros. (John and Henry), livery, Washington between Front and Main Halpin, Michael, carriage manufacturers, Pine corner Walnut O'Donnell, Frank, livery, 76 Centre Washburn & Turnbach, carriage manufacturers, Front Wise, George, harness maker, 24 Centre St. George Wise, harness maker, ads from 1891, 1895, 1897. The tall, thin 1891 ad is particularly good. 1895 Sanborn Fire Insurance Co. map H. Halpin, Wagon Works Washborn & Turnbach, Carriage Works ![]() In business listings: Boyd, W. J., blacksmith, Adams corner Luzerne Debman, S. G., blacksmith, 71 E Front Eastwood, Charles, blacksmith, 51 E Walnut Fisher, John, livery, E Front near Birkbeck Fisher, John, livery, Washington near Main O'Donnell, Frank, livery, S Centre Freeland Carriage and Wagon Works, Hontz Bros. props., E Front near Washington Halpin, Michael, wagon works, Pine corner Walnut Hoch, G. B., blacksmith, Birkbeck near Johnson Jenkins, William, blacksmith, 121 S Centre O'Donnell, Frank, livery, S Centre Roth, R. E., blacksmith, South corner Centre Washburn, A. W., blacksmith, Front corner Washington Wise, George, harness maker, 24 Centre St. Frank O'Donnell ad was part of December 1897 list of selected Freeland businesses published just before Christmas to stimulate local patronage. 1897 city directory In individual listings: Boyd, W. J., blacksmith, Adams corner Luzerne, h Crawford, Gershon, blacksmith, Johnson corner Pine, h Debman, S. G., blacksmith, 71 E Front, h Eastwood, Charles, blacksmith, 51 E Walnut, h Halpin, Michael, carriage works, Pine corner Walnut, h w Hoch, G. B., blacksmith, Birkbeck near Johnson, h Hontz Bros. (Frank and Benjamin), carriage works, Freeland Carriage and Wagon Works, E Front near Washington, h Hontz, Benjamin (Hontz Bros.), carriage works, Freeland Carriage and Wagon Works, Birkbeck near Front, h Hontz, Frank (Hontz Bros.), carriage works, Freeland Carriage and Wagon Works, Birkbeck near Front, h Howey, Matthew, blacksmith, 21 Birkbeck, h Jenkins, Robert, blacksmith, 121 S Centre, h [William Jenkins is listed as saloon owner at this address in individual listings, different from in 1897 business listings where he’s listed as a blacksmith and no mention of saloon – CT] Miller, Robert, blacksmith, 138 S Adams, h Reifsnyder, Harry, blacksmith, 79 S Washington, h Rittenheuse, John, wheelwright, 91 N Centre, h Roth, Richard, blacksmith, 136 S Washington, h Seiple, Harry, blacksmith, 84 E Walnut, h Shepperly, Charles, wheelwright, 47 E Front, h Wald, Henry, blacksmith, Weaver, h Washburn, A. W., blacksmith, Front corner Washington, h 1900 Sanborn Fire Insurance Co. map Freeland Wagon Works M. Halpin, Wagon Works ![]() ![]() ![]() In business listings: Beagle Hame Works, Harry S. Beagle & George Wise, proprietors, Freeland Fisher, John, livery, Washington Halpin Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of carriages, wagons and sleighs, cor. Pine and Walnut O'Donnell, Frank, livery, sale and exchange, Tel. 1213 Roth, R. C., blacksmith and wheelwright, Front street Wise, George, saddler, Centre Not in these directory business lists: Krouse Hotel and Livery, Birkbeck and Schwabe streets, founded ca. 1900-1901. Above: Halpin Mfg. Co. called "A growing industry" in 1908, having received a special order for 15 wagons from the Columbia Co. Also, two photos of the Krouse livery stable taken in 2000. It was purchased by the Borough Council and torn down sometime around 2009-2010. More about the Krouse hotel on the Hotels page. 1905 Sanborn Fire Insurance Co. map Beagle Hame Works M. Halpin, Wagon Works 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Co. map M. Halpin, Wagon Works ![]() In general listings: Beagle & Roth, Hame & Smith Works – Front Dieterich & Son, F, Livery – Washington Fisher John, Livery – Washington Hoch Hame Co – Washington O’Donnell Frank, Livery – Centre Restenberger D A, Livery Roth & Beagle, Smith & Hame Works – Front Wise George, Harnessmaker – Jeddo Wise George, Harnessmaker – Centre Not in these directory business lists: Boyle, James, Livery, Johnson St. The article with photo at right above was published by the Standard Speaker in 1989, and it shows Marie Marencin's father Frank Ceol plowing a snowy road with a wooden sled pulled by horses from Jim Boyle's livery stable. Courtesy of the Standard Speaker. 1917 telephone directory In general listings: [Note: These liveries might also have been boarding stables.] Broskoske & O'Donnell, blacksmiths, Pine & Walnut Corazza, Louis, Livery Stable, rear Central Hotel Hoch Hame Co., Mfg., hame works, Birkbeck O'Donnell, Frank, Livery, 444 Centre Reybitz, Andrew, Livery, 610 Washington Roth & Beagle, Smith & Hame Works, Front [I think that means blacksmith & hame – CT] Soltis, Andrew, Livery, 615 South Wise, George, Harnessmaker, 608 Centre, also Jeddo ![]() ![]() In business listings: Beagle Hame Works, The, hame manufacturers, 606 E. Front Broskoske & O’Donnell, blacksmiths, Pine & Walnut Cologno, Emilio, livery [and possibly boarding stable], Washington cor Main Fisher, Charles, livery [and possibly boarding stable], 525 Washington Hoch Hames Co., Inc., hame manufacturers, Birkbeck nr Front Klinger, John H., harness maker, 739 Front O’Donnell, Frank, livery [and possibly boarding stable], 444 Centre Roth, Richard C., blacksmith, 606 E. Front Wise, George, harness maker, 608 Centre In July 1922, Clyde and Harry Fisher opened their garage on the site of the former Fisher Livery. Ad from Ed Merrick. John Klinger, saddler, found other uses of his leatherworking skills as cars replaced horses. This 1923 ad came from Charlie Stumpf. Not in these directory business lists: A newspaper note from August 20, 1925 reported: "Andrew Soltis, the local livery man, was forced to shoot a valuable horse yesterday owing to an injury." In a Nov. 1939 article about Soltis and George B. Hudock, we learn that both men immigrated to White Haven in 1889, both working in the mines, and then getting into other businesses, with Soltis becoming a teamster and long distance hauler. His 1950 obituary said: "One of the first draymen in Eastern Pennsylvania, Mr. Soltis entered the moving business over 50 years ago." Thanks to Ed Merrick for finding these articles. 1928-1929 city directory In business listings: Beagle Hame Works, hame manufacturers, 606 Front Klinger, John H., harness maker, 739 Front Nitka, Bruno, [heading is livery, sale and boarding stables], 235 Centre Roth, Geo B., blacksmith, 606 Front ![]() In business listings: Broskoskie, Jno., blacksmith, 731 Pine Klinger, Jno H., harness maker, 827 Walnut Roth, Richd. C., blacksmith, 608 Front Might John Broskoske, whose Broskeke's General Repair Shop has long been on Maple Street, be related to these blacksmiths listed in 1940 on Pine street and Maple street? The work is related, as blacksmiths also did repairs. And, from the 1940 Federal census, contributed by Ed Merrick: Richard C. Roth, 78, 540 Walnut Street, blacksmith, employer John Broskowski, 54, 239 Maple Street, blacksmith, own shop John Klinger, 65, 827 Walnut Street, harness maker, leather work Drivers and teamsters 1895 South Heberton city directory In individual listings: Krommes, Edward, driver, Birkbeck St. near Walnut St., h Krose, Henry, driver, Birkbeck St., h Krouse, Julius, driver, Birkbeck St., h McMurtrie, William, teamster, Birkbeck St., h Moyer, Richard, driver, Birkbeck St., h Volknand, John, driver, Birkbeck St., h 1897 city directory In individual listings: Johnson, William, teamster, 93 E Front, h Veterinarians ![]() Veterinarians in business listings: Hunsicker, Thomas - Central Hotel 1897 city directory Veterinarians in individual listings: Hunsicker, Thomas, veterinary surgeon, Central Hotel, 16 N. Centre 1917 telephone directory Veterinarians in general listings: Welsh, S. G., Vet. Surg. - Hospital Crossing, Drifton 1940 city directory Veterinarians in business listings: Welsh, Saml. G. - 418 Main, Drifton |